Wednesday, October 16, 2019

I've written and published a book, "I am an Electrical Engineer"

My book is available at Amazon.
I wrote the book at the instigation of my son John William Baker. I frequently would meet my son for lunch and would regale him with stories of my projects at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory (NRLand the Lawrence LIvermore National Lab (LRL, LLNL) and my consulting projects and he suggested that I write this book. My son is a software engineer specializing in Java, currently working nearby in Pleasanton, Calif. 
My handwaving descriptions were inadequate to really describe my projects and he insisted that I put them to words. I had just finished up a project for LLNL and had time to put words and pictures to paper. 
I hope that my book will be interesting for technical minded readers with the many projects of greatly varying subject and technologies ranging from electromagnetic wave technology to digital technology to software and to Fuzzy Logic for control systems. The book is available in both Kindle format and paperback at Amazon.

Among my projects was development of an analog computer to control a shipboard antenna at NRL for our Moon Relay Communication project. 
Moon Relay antenna on U.S.S. Georgetown
Other NRL projects included our antenna experimental study at the FAA station on Molokai, HI. 
Then I wrote about my LLNL work at the Nevada Test Site during the atomic testing program, 
A typical atomic test installation.









the Liquefied Gaseous Fuels system development and testing at China Lake, 
Installing a Weather System at the Liquefied Gaseous Fuels Project.

















my work in the Laser Department during the Atomic Vapor Laser Isotope Separation (AVLISProject, LLNL's Uranium separation and refinement project.

Laser tech aligning a Copper Vapor Laser in AVLIS
and then my work in the Global Security Department including work for the U.S. Border Patrol, our HIPROTECT system, and work at Fort Benning, an archaeological protection system for the abandoned U.S. Indian village at Yuchi Town. 

I included my consulting projects including a coin mechanism development project and several Fuzzy Logic paint flow control system projects. 

Paint Flow Controller operating in test mode.

I was lucky to have received a terrific EE education at the University of California, Berkeley under such luminaries as J. R. Whinnery and Victor Rumsey and then to have gone on to work with many terrific coworkers and bosses. Hopefully I have given adequate credit to them all. So Happy Reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment